Yesterday I had plans to complete the Branchline creamery (which, as I stated in earlier posts, will be a cooperage). I sat for half an hour, staring at it. I even painted some of the walls red. Then I took my family out for lunch, then to the sporting goods store, then to the bookstore. By the time we got back home, I had other obligations besides modeling (a couple of friends and I play Magic: the Gathering most Saturday evenings).
In the wee hours of the morning I woke up with a lightbulb over my head. Instead of the cooperage being a standalone building, I’ll kitbash the Branchline creamery kit so that it is annexed to the main building of the brewery. This will provide in-house space for the cooperage, an extension of the cellars, and maybe some offices to boot. In some half-informed corner of my mind, this layout makes a lot more sense. Conveniently, the ice house and the creamery have narrow ‘insulated’ doors intended to transfer ice sheets from the former structure to the latter, which should keep the cellars cool when summers get too hot.
The only major kitbashing will be on the right hand side of the cooperage. I have to truncate the shed and back deck from the building. I’ll also have to fill in the window ports on the side of the brewery where the cooperage will be (otherwise, some of the windows will be half-covered). So, without further adieu:
I have a long way to go before this part of the project is complete, but I already feel much better knowing that I’m not just building model kits; I am creating creatively. That was why I got stuck in the mud recently. Now that I’m not just following directions, I’m getting fired up again.
I am much happier with this consolidated layout. It was really bugging me that the cooperage was a standalone building. There was something ‘off’ about that. The ice house makes sense, as it could be owned and operated by a separate company for the benefit of the brewery and other local businesses.