Hoist House

I have been trying to discipline myself to slow down and take breaks while modeling. By default, when I get into a project I become consumed by it, and want to follow through to completion as soon as I can. I often burn he midnight oil when I start building, and my impatience causes mistakes or problems that I don’t find until later, or else I do something that I later regret.

Example: when building the ice house and creamery kits, I painted the underside of the eaves dark gray instead of white. I wasn’t thinking in terms of ‘modeling’ but was defaulting to how I would draw the buildings: with shaded eaves. As happy as I am with those models now, I still regret that choice, and will likely go back and fix the issue.

Anyhow, I spent the past few days and evenings building the hoist house, but I took a lot of breaks, especially when I was transitioning between steps. This time around, I decided that I would not paint the walls by hand. Instead, I spray painted the walls, roofs, and components (windows and doors), and then painted a few details by hand (a few touch-ups and the inset loading doors). While the spray paint gave some grainy texture to the wood, it did not cause as much warping as hand-painting.

img_2175

The spray paints I used are a combination paint and primer, which saved me a step. Colonial red satin and white semi-gloss (which was not an accident–the semi-gloss finish matches the Testors acrylic finish better than satin paints, so I can touch up the white details without parts looking ‘flatter’ than others).


img_2172

The pieces, all laid out. You can see the bit of trim that I painted to match the walls just under the ‘double’ loading doors. This made the raised doors less awkward-looking.


img_2173

I got a 90-degree square to help keep my corners true. It was more helpful than I expected when holding joints together while the glue set.


img_2174

Here it is, pre-roof. I haven’t decided what kind of roof the brewery will have. I am leaning toward corrugated metal sheets, but I might use traditional shingles on some areas. I also haven’t put the glass behind the windows and transoms yet. First, I will need to spray the structure with Testors Dullcote, but I am letting the glue set a bit longer before I do that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s