Repainting Some Walls and Banging My Head Against Others

I’ve been away from my spraycans for the past couple of weeks, mostly because the final building of the three that needed repainting was daunting, to say the least.

It took me a solid week to build up the courage to remove all windows, doors, stripping, and ‘stonework.’ The project itself only took an hour or so, but it was delicate work and I am still rather surprised that I didn’t snap anything.

Spray-painting the pieces was easy. After gluing the walls back together, I began reattaching the strips of stonework. By some baffling turn of events, though, I couldn’t find one of the strips for the front of the building. I looked high and low, to no avail. Eventually, I gave up. It is likely that the adhesive became stuck on some piece of paper or something and would up in the garbage.

Anyhow, I contacted Branchline and inquired about their source for the styrene stonework. I got an email back almost immediately:

“The n scale stonework that we use is made by Plastruct. It comes 7 x12 sheets. How much are you in need of. I look forward to hear from you.”

Wow, I thought, I can just order through Branchline. That’s convenient! So I replied:

“I am only in need of about 6″ x 1/2″ but would be happy to purchase whatever you can spare.”

I heard absolutely nothing back for three days, so I followed up to ask if my email was received. Still no answer. A week later I tried again for good measure, but was met with silence.

Well, go suck an egg, Branchline. I ordered some styrene “Random Coursed Stone” sheets directly from Plastruct, and they arrived several days later. In the interim, I rethought the dock, and finally decided to reopen the holes just under the loading doors, which will allow me to attach the dock that came with the kit. I’ve been futzing around long enough. Really, I just want to get these models finished so I can start on the actual brewery.

I cut a length of Plastruct ‘masonry’ to fit the whole length of the cooperage, and added crenels for the dock-holes. I also cut a strip to run beneath the loading doors of the hoist house.

I reattached all doors, stripping, and windows (and took the opportunity to straighten the crooked window that has been gnawing at me for a couple of months).

To simulate mortar, I painted the Plastruct stone with Testors white paint then gently wiped it off the face of the stones so it only remained in the spaces between them. For variation, I scribbled on the stones with colored pencils in several shades of brown. Then I went over all with a No. 2 pencil and finally a white colored pencil, to blend it all in a bit.


The last major steps for these buildings will be as follows: place the scratch-built ‘wall’ in the cooperage again, add shingles or corrugated metal roofing, spray all with Dullcote, insert window ‘glass,’ and paint and add the docks.

Still plenty to do before they are done, but with any luck I’ll be finished before the end of March, at which time I will begin preparing to build the brewery proper. I’m nervous just thinking about it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s