Tonight I repaired the single dead rail by soldering its feeder wire. I had unknowingly severed the wire with a quick-splice clip when attaching it to the bus wire yesterday. Here’s the repair:
I had already severed another feeder with a quick-splice clip, but I realized I had done it right away, so I was able to repair that as I was wiring the rest of the module.
Because I already had the module tipped up, I figured it would be a good evening to start wiring the Switch-Kats. These are simple decoders that connect to the bus and give each turnout a DCC address. This will allow me to select each turnout with the controller and it will translate my inputs into “switch left” or “switch right.”
I mounted the Switch-Kats using plastic standoffs, as I had done with the Arduino, and situated each one a few inches from the wire leading up to each respective turnout. I angled most of them, as I will need to access the “top” end to insert a jumper wire when putting them into “program” mode.
Here they are before wiring them to the turnouts:
And here they are, wired to the turnouts:
And here they are connected to the bus wires:
I still need to add some anchors to keep wires secure, but otherwise I think I’m done with all “under the table” wiring. I will be adding a couple of holes on the back to run power cables through; this will allow me to anchor them a bit more securely. I’ll also be adding a hole on the right side to connect the bus to the next module. I will wait to tackle this project until the fascia has been added to the back.
Now it’s time to program the Switch-Kats and reprogram the Arduino, and LSR will be back in full operation.