Backscene Redux

My family and I are moving next weekend to a house down the road, so most of my time lately has been consumed by preparation for that. Of course, Little Snoring will be coming with us and by design it should be easy enough to relocate. I’m hoping to reuse the bookcase, too, assuming the new space works.

More on that when we get there. For the past month I’ve been waiting for a vinyl backscene that never arrived. I ordered it from a small backscene company in the UK and parcel tracking indicates that the company never dispatched the order (it is in “ready for dispatch” status). The company’s owner (and, likely, sole operator) claims he shipped it and that it must have been lost in customs. He didn’t offer to send me another; rather, he refunded the order after a few hasty replies to my inquiries.

I went out on a limb and ordered a paper backscene from Gaugemaster instead. It was a fraction of the cost, and it arrived within a week. The paper is a thin semi-gloss, much like a poster you’d thumbtack to the wall in a college dormitory. It will likely hold up better than the last one I tried.

Unfortunately, Gaugemaster’s N-gauge backscenes are only about 6″ tall, and my backboard is closer to 9″. While I plan on having a “hill” leading up to the backscene, it will only be about 1″ or 1.5″ tall. Thus, I need a backscene that is at least 7″ tall. So, I went with the only other size offered by Gaugemaster, which is about 12″ tall but the image is also larger and more suitable for HO- or G-scale. I figured I’d be cutting off the bottom few inches anyhow, so the larger foreground details will be mostly removed and might look okay. Here goes:

Slice!

Putting it in place temporarily:

Looks good enough for me.

You can see that I started from the right-hand side, which will make it easy to transition the backscene to a second module when the time comes.

After fitting, I applied wallpaper paste carefully to the panels then put the sheets down, again working from right to left. I took out as many bubbles as I could with a rubber roller, but some bubbles inevitably remain. You can see them when viewing up close, particularly at the seams between panels:

On the leftmost seam, the colors don’t transition very well and the foreground of the leftmost panel is rather badly photoshopped:

But all in all it looks pretty good:

I think I will apply Mod-Podge to the whole backscene to protect it, and maybe that will create some textural consistency at the seams. After that, I will spray it with a Testors Dull Cote, which should get rid of the shine and maybe conceal the bubbles a bit.